Bigstock

Stock Photos, Royalty Free Stock Photography, Photo Search

Saturday, January 28, 2012

Brave New World

As I've mentioned before, I've decided to go ahead with my plans of writing my new work-in-progress as a "Gunpowder Fantasy."

One of the problems that I've come across already is the lack of previous work in this area. There are a handful of books that have used this sub-genre title and I'm sure that there are other previous works that have integrated gunpowder into a typical fantasy setting.

The problem of course is finding those works.

So in writing my Gunpowder Fantasy, I've had very little in the way of other work to compare mine too.

I think this will probably work to my advantage as I will have a completely clean slate to work against. I don't have many preconceived ways to integrate the magical elements of my world with the rest of my world.


1 comment:

  1. We are a rare breed of writers, those of us who write Gunpowder Fantasy. The closest I'd seen prior to starting it was the Temeraire series, which is the Napoleonic War with dragons. Not true fantasy.

    Most of my comparisons come from novels set on contemporary Earth, during the Napoleonic Wars; Patrick O'Brian, C.S. Forester and Bernard Cornwell. (Jane Austen can be considered if you want a more genteel look at the time period.)

    ReplyDelete