Bigstock

Stock Photos, Royalty Free Stock Photography, Photo Search

Friday, November 11, 2011

Plotting

So I've read several different blogs on the benefits of Plotting (or Outlining) vs Organic Flow. 

Personally, I'm very much a Plotter. I like to lay out my full story ahead of time so I have a guidepost to go on. It's mostly just ideas that I've had ahead of time that I want to make sure I get back around to. Now, that isn't to say that I strictly adhere to my plot and leave out any chance of Organic Flow. Quite the contrary, my in depth plots tend to spark organic flow as I look to them for guidance. 

I've been thinking about how far ahead I should plot. So far with my current world, a sort of Gunpowder and Sorcery Fantasy, I've chapter-by-chapter plotted out the full first novel. But I've also come up with several significant plot points that I will be working into later installments of this series. 

I also have a general idea of where I want the novel to end.

I've considered going through and fully plotting out two or three novels ahead in chapter-by-chapter form, but I think that until I get through Novel 1, I won't be positive where I want to take certain aspects of the following novels.

Do you plot ahead, or are you an organic flow person? And if you do plot, is it just a general outline or in depth chapter by chapter ideas?

No comments:

Post a Comment