Stock Photos, Royalty Free Stock Photography, Photo Search

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Cleaning Up the Ending

Now that I've worked through my first draft, editing and then applying those edits, I'm going to pay attention to the ending.

While I was reading through, I realized that the ending was rather rushed and didn't give appropriate detail to the ending of all of the characters.

I think part of this arose from how the particular story was built. I originally wrote the core of "Live! At the Front" as a short story, focusing almost entirely on the main character's story. It only rounded out at around 40k words.

So when I decided to convert the novella into a true novel, I decided that to bring the word count up and further develop the story I would add in a secondary storyline that would follow a naval officer.

When I got to the end of the novel, having converted the original novella to the new novel's universe, I hit a wall with the new storyline and decided to just cut it out in order to get the novel into first draft edits. Lazy, I know.

I think I've got the path I need to clean up the storyline, though, so I should be able to get the novel into 2nd Draft pretty soon. And I already know where the focus is going to be there: increasing the level of detail in several sections.

No comments:

Post a Comment